Music is an important part of every event. Two music options are live music or DJs. DJs can cost anywhere from $500 to $2,000 depending on the length of time you need them and their experience. However, in many instances, your special event may not even need a DJ, saving you a significant amount of money. How do you decide if you need a professional DJ or not? Here are some points to consider.
You do need a DJ when:
- You need an emcee that has a big personality to get the crowd going.
- It’s a long event with different crowds to entertain: families in the morning, teens in the afternoon, and adults in the evening. A good DJ will read the crowd and know what kind of music to play and when.
- A selection of thousands of songs is ready at a moment’s notice.
- Your guests will make spontaneous requests. The DJ should not only have a large song selection available, but know when to best include requests in the playlist.
On the flip side, there are many times when you don’t need a DJ. This can save $$ in the budget and still be professional. Just make sure you have a high quality sound system and you’re ready to go.
You don’t need a DJ when:
- You only require background music. Ask your event planner to create a playlist of instrumental music.
- You know what music your guests prefer. If you know the music genre you’d like to play, just tell your event production house to create a playlist, or use your i-Tunes account and create one of your own.
The most important quality of any music is the sound. Clear, balanced background music is only achieved with a professional sound system, as opposed to blaring out dance tunes for a late night dance crowd from a corner of the room.
If you’re still not sure which way to go, feel free to give me a call. We can run through the pros and cons of using a DJ for your special event as well as how to incorporate a quality sound system.